Thread Closed 

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Turn Laptop Into WiFi Access Point
05-04-2011, 06:14 PM
(05-04-2011 05:26 PM)RockNTheFreeWorld Wrote:  If you had a phone that could do that, then you wouldn't need the 3G modem. I have wireless hotspot for nothing more than I already pay also.

This.

The freeTether app makes my phone into a 3G modem that I can use via WiFi, USB or BlueTooth.
Send this user an email Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-05-2011, 03:46 AM
But i use the laptop for work, sending, reciveing large files and do website stuff.
Its way cheaper and better signal to get a 3G modem then use the phone.
The iPhone has the oppitunity to make a hotspot, but since it would be doubble the price and lower speed, it was not worth it.
And i was told by the phone company that i could use the laptop with the 3G modem and turn it into a hotspot, but apprenbtly not.
Sucks a bit, then i cant use the iPad for work also, to transfer files.
Here is how it goes now when im at work and i have to transfer a image file from the laptop to iPad.
Transfer the file from laptop to iphone thorugh mail or dropbox.
Download the file on iphone.
USe the program BUMP to transfer by bluetooth from iPhone to iPad. (since the bluetooth wont work with iPad).
Im not able to do this with PDF files so i have to wait until i get home to my wifi and have it sync with my dropbox files.
Crapple!
05-05-2011, 05:33 AM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2011 05:35 AM by Latino.)
how is it cheaper and better signal to use a 3G modem (thats usually provided by a telco anyways) than using a phone thats usually using the same network as the 3G modem anyways??? i dont get it..

the iPhone can be tethered, doesnt need an app for that. Easy to use, any dumbass can use it Laugh
i get up to 5mb downloads on my iPhone...nothing to do with the phone, but the provider. Usually the 3G modems come locked anyways....they dont want you to share it.

you could have just spent that extra money that youre paying for the 3G modem and data on increasing the data on your phone or moving your phone to a better/faster provider.

also, if youre doing that crazy thing to get files from one....why not just use dropbox on all 3 devices?? you wasted your money on getting a wifi only ipad. Should have gotten the 3G one...or another 3G tablet for that matter. I still dont understand why youre transfering files all over the place anyways Laugh what are you trying to achieve?? and what cant you do with PDF files???

I have over 5GB of PDF, CAD, JPG and AI files on my PC at home in dropbox, i can view all those kind of files on all my devices, i can even view my CAD files on my iPad and iPhone (Autodesk have an app for AutoCad)
i dont see why you cant view PDF files or transfer them from one to the other.
Find all posts by this user
05-05-2011, 06:01 AM
Ok.. Lets me start with the provider thing.
Right now theres a "war" where companies are trying to take over the internet business.
As we are a small country, and we are 99.9% covered with mobie phone signals, and less on the internet/fiber site , they (telephone companies) are using that as a weapon.
Thats why the prices are way down, and apprently the speed are way better on the 3G modem then on mobile smartphones.
We just had test´s done and 95% of the time the modem was better.

The iPad i got for free for work, where i have to use if for customer orderes and showing the items (PDF files with information).

I do have Dropbox on all 3 things, but the problem is that theres no connection between iPhone and iPad to transfer files without WiFi.
I already sync the files on the laptop with the iPad, but thats when i get home i have to do that, im not able to do that at work.

Do you have iStuff or your on the android wave?
05-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Look into this. It was suggested by someone I know but I haven't used it.

http://www.analogx.com/contents/download...eeware.htm
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
05-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Wow... Did you look at the instructions ? My head hurts already.
I just found a thing called MiFi which run on batteries/power and can be made into a hotspot with the 3G usb modem. Which is perfect.
And apprently we already have one some where, so everything seems to work out in the end.
05-05-2011, 02:55 PM
MiFi is a like a standalone WiFi tethered phone... without the benefits of being a phone. Laugh

But it'll suit your purposes far better than the 3G modem dongle if you need to use it on more than one device.
05-05-2011, 03:59 PM
Can I make a laptop from my wifi access point? Smartass
05-05-2011, 04:24 PM
(05-05-2011 03:59 PM)Jujubeez Wrote:  Can I make a laptop from my wifi access point? Smartass

You can make it into an ad-hoc access point and share Internet, but many WiFi mobile devices will not connect to ad-hoc networks.
05-06-2011, 04:49 AM
Youre making me dizzy
05-06-2011, 08:26 AM
(05-05-2011 04:24 PM)Spader Wrote:  
(05-05-2011 03:59 PM)Jujubeez Wrote:  Can I make a laptop from my wifi access point? Smartass

You can make it into an ad-hoc access point and share Internet, but many WiFi mobile devices will not connect to ad-hoc networks.

Can I make a harddrive out of my blt sandwich? I want to remember how tasty it was. Smartass
05-06-2011, 01:01 PM
(05-06-2011 08:26 AM)Jujubeez Wrote:  
(05-05-2011 04:24 PM)Spader Wrote:  

Can I make a harddrive out of my blt sandwich? I want to remember how tasty it was. Smartass

Yes, as long as the bacon is SATA not IDE. Also, the external Compcache cannot exceed the tolerance threshhold of 1.21 Gigawatts. You may need a custom linux kernel to get the lettuce to properly resolve with the current node.js framework and syntax. Also, a backup SQL database server of at least 3 terabytes is required for proper tomato -> tah-ma-toe conversion with a framerate of 1600FPS minimum.

Now all this is moot if the bread is not toasted. It's got to be toasted!
05-06-2011, 01:30 PM
It's always toasted Laugh
05-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Bastards hijacking my thread
05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
For a thread hijack, you'll need at least 3 GB RAM and at least a XPI3000 Video card or better. Then with the current Ubuntu distro, you should be able to curcumvent the necessary I/O scheduling protocol and issue a garbage collect order.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)