Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 4 Average
The Xbox One says fuck convenience
06-07-2013, 11:54 AM
[Image: IXHsNLB.jpg]

Apparently very recently Microsoft tossed out some more details about the upcoming XBone (It looks like X bone? Who thought that was a good idea?) and I couldn't believe my eyes. Either incredibly ballsy or just outright stupid.. some of this shit is sure to piss off most gamers.

Quote:- Your Xbox must check in via the internet once every 24 hours, if not, you won’t be able to play games

- It is up to publishers whether or not you can resell your games or gift them to friends

- Discs have nothing to do with ownership, and are only use for installation purposes. Games are simply licensed now

Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2...y-default/

Edit: The guys at http://www.giantbomb.com give a video breakdown of the news:

http://www.giantbomb.com/videos/an-xbox-...2300-7459/
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-07-2013, 11:59 AM
As someone that recently battled with not having an internet connection for near a month the more or less 'always online' connection thing is enough to make me not want to purchase the new console. It's incredibly dumb to treat a console as if it's a PC being that most people buy consoles so that they don't need an internet connection to play games or to upgrade a computer each time a new game comes out that requires top of the line hardware.

Leaving it up to publishers for ability to resell will kill the used game market (something publishers have wanted since day one) and will outrage those that like to buy games at a discount.. and not being able to give them to friends is just outright greed. Who hasn't borrowed a game from a friend long enough to give it a spin to see if you want to buy it or not first? It's basically shareware demoing for a modern generation.

In an age where people are already fed up with even the smallest of 'freedoms' being taken away - blitzing their home media with more rules is a really bad idea that I don't see turning out well for microsoft.
06-07-2013, 12:14 PM
It gets slightly worse too. You can log in to someone else's machine and play your game, but in that case it has to check in every hour to allow you to continue playing.
06-07-2013, 12:27 PM
I figured console technology was headed in this direction (hence not mentioning the discs not needed thing because we all know physical media is on it's way out the door) but it's still shocking to see a company try to cram so many of them into one console generation instead of taking away console independence one small bit at a time. Microsoft just said fuck it and decided to go all in - likely a choice they'll pay for.

Basically all Sony has to do at this point is to say "We're not gonna bend you over like Microsoft will" and they've got a lock on the next generation of consoles judging by how pissed off people are about all these new announcements. Shouldn't be hard for them to wrap it up if they don't make the same mistakes.

Meanwhile Nintendo will be third in the corner with their thumb up their ass as usual Laugh
06-07-2013, 12:32 PM
Up until this point I've been very happy with how Xbox and Xbox Live ran the show, they've helped improve Microsoft's overall image if you ask me. If this information checks out though then it sure proves that it doesn't take much to ruin consumer trust.

I was set on buying the Xbox One, not necessarily upon release but I do like the idea of getting a Blue-ray player with my gaming console. Now instead I might just down off the PS3 my brother left somewhere when he moved.
06-07-2013, 12:33 PM
I watched the launch of this box, and it does alot, but I just want to play games, I don't want to surf the net, control my house lights and alarms, play my music, or do my laundry. Just games. I guess the people at xbox forgot all about.

I tend to play with myself Wanker then multiplay. Horny So I don't need all the 24 hour surveillance shit. I do like the playing on a friends server though. If you're into a game like Minecraft where you can team up and build together with people and with gamers who work different schedules and all it would be cool to log in to their world and work on whatever.

Drama King
06-07-2013, 01:06 PM
Sony is making a big deal about the PS4 not having publisher control and about Sony being indie developer friendly (XBox Live is not that indie developer friendly now and will be getting worse).

Currently on PS3, and reportedly on PS4 also, the publisher can really only restrict online components of their game. For example, since EA had an "OnLine Pass" that they used for a while. In order to play online you had to have a license for that. Each new game came with a one-time use code and if you bought a game used where the code was already taken you could buy one in the store for $10-20. This has now been discontinued since gamers hated them for it. But even in those cases your game could be played locally on your machine even without that license, you just couldn't use the online stuff.

With XBox One, the publisher can allow or deny you the ability to sell, loan, or trade games with anyone and can charge a fee for doing so if they wish. And it is built in that loaning a game is only to someone who is on your Xbox Live Friends list and has been for at least 30 days. You can only do it with any game one time and it is not clear if you can still use it while they have it or if it really is you giving them the game for good.

The licensing stuff is here straight from MS themselves http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/license
06-07-2013, 01:09 PM
That's a shame because I really enjoy some of the Xbox exclusive games. It sounds like they are really doing their best to fuck themselves over with this next generation thing.

It was supposed to have so much potential with the Surface integration and everything.
06-07-2013, 01:50 PM
Microsoft is handing too much control to their buddies at the big studios. They seem to forget that PS3 and XBox 360 sales were almost exactly the same even though XBox had a year advantage in time.

Also, reportedly the XBox One will require the new Kinect (it will come with it supposedly) and it will require it be connected to use the device. You can cut it off or pause it, but you can't disconnect it.
06-07-2013, 03:27 PM
I'm over the whole motion control fad. I know it's not going anywhere in the near future but until they make the motion controls super responsive and to where you dont have to flail around like an idiot when you just want to sit there and play a game while relaxing I'm just sick of it.

The only time I really want to be flailing around like an idiot is while playing drums on something like Rock Band where it makes sense to have motion involved. Then again with the music game genre all but dead due to oversaturation I doubt I'll have to worry about that either.

Motion control is alright for specific games where it makes sense but basing your console around it and then shoehorning motion into every game just because you think it should be there and not because it functions well is a pain in the ass.
06-07-2013, 03:42 PM
Apparently Microsoft is now sending paid shills to go to websites and forums and bicker back and forth with people that are saying negative things about the Xbone. Laugh

So far its only happening on a few of the biggest sites but it's starting to spread. I guess if someone shows up talking about how awesome having less freedom to do what you want with your own games is we'll know what's going on.
06-07-2013, 03:49 PM
The new Kinect is used for a lot of voice stuff. It will sit around and listen for you to say "Xbox On" and then turn it on for you.

I assume it will also listen for words like meth, or bomb, or Allah and send your data to the FBI also.
06-07-2013, 05:50 PM
Laugh

I wouldn't be surprised. When that thing first came out and I saw it uploading photos of people while they played the games and shit I thought 'Uh oh at some point that wont be good'
06-07-2013, 07:18 PM
Fuck that. I want one just for that. I am finding a game that requires something like jumping jacks and doing that shit naked wearing a Hello Kitty head. Upload that motherfucker.
06-07-2013, 07:23 PM
Laugh

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)