Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
Octodad and other amazingly unique games
06-20-2013, 10:18 AM
So this was apparently the hidden gem of E3 this year.

I honestly think this is one of the coolest concepts for a game ever.

Don't believe me? Just watch this gameplay footage. I was dying of laughter

Are you excited for this game yet? What other video games have this same unique style you enjoy?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
06-20-2013, 12:11 PM
The guy's commentary over that video is terrible. That being said I've read a lot of things about how awesome Octodad is and it is a funny premise. The game revolving around you trying to fool humans into thinking you are human is creative. It's amazing what game developers can come up with when given the freedom to do so instead of cranking out the next first person shooter sequel.

Minecraft is a great example of one that started like Octodad (probably even smaller scale) and became a phenomenon just based on it's creativity and being different from anything else out there. Hell they're releasing Minecraft on the new Xbox console and it's sold millions of copies. That should give any indie developer hope.

A few I've seen that looked amazing:

The Unfinished Swan - I've never seen a cooler use of color and user interaction to tell a story. The world basically appears around you as you throw paint and other substances into the distance.

Retro City Rampage - A giant dose of nostalgia for anyone who loved gaming during the 8 bit era and basically incorporates the best parts of many different games from that era in the world of a single NES-style game. The humor is decent and the gameplay looks like a blast.
Send this user an email Find all posts by this user
06-26-2013, 12:46 PM

Limbo - A mixture of moody music and a unique shades of gray atmosphere. It feels as if you're playing something straight out of an indie horror film or an animated version of the old "Scary Stories" books that horrified us when we were younger.

Also the giant spider. You'll know it when you see it. Yeesh.
06-26-2013, 01:21 PM
I've played through Limbo a couple of times. Really well done. It's a unique atmosphere to that game.

I want to add a few more games to this list. I think I've already mentioned them in other threads.

First off; Bastion. A clever narrator really sets the tone for this game. I just love how the world appears before you as you advance.

Fez - A 2D platformer in a 3D world. You change views to manipulate the world and to help navigate from platform to platform. When I first got this I think I played it for something like 30 hours over the course of a weekend.

And lastly there's Braid. I don't really know how to describe this one. Yet another platformer, one many considered the breakthrough game for XBLA indie games. This one simply has to be experienced.

06-26-2013, 04:37 PM
Limbo is indeed great. It's got a great and dark feeling to it. You die often in this game. Laugh

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Games You're Currently Playing Mr. Classy 1,127 40,761 05-12-2014 01:23 AM
Last Post: Mio

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)